PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So where are all the jobs then?
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2007, 09:13
Blackshift

Not Good Airline Material

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vito,

Although I agree with much of what you have to say about the industry, I cannot really find quite as much sympathy with regard to your own predicament.

The woe-is-me/sackloth-and-ashes fatalism you have exhibited would make even the arch-pessimist Schopenhauer look like a starry-eyed optimist and will naturally draw ridicule in a forum populated by aspiring and accomplished professional aviators, many of whom justifiably value any ability they have to cope with adversity as being their most important qualification.

Do yourself a favour and take on board the advice of LukeSkyToddler and pilotmike if you really want to be an airline pilot - although I suspect that your post may be evidence of an ongoing Damascine convertion to the shocking realisation that not everyone in the RHS of an airliner is necessarily the best person to be there, and that you are therefore perhaps not competing on an entirely level playing field. There are many others within the industry, not least occupying the LHS who might have reason to agree with this. However, contrast your own bitter complaints with the measured words of VFE:-
As I see it, the only thing going for the airline gig these days is the dosh and depending on your employer that is now an area of contention too. Do you really consider yourself 'employed' as an airline pilot when you pay for your TR, uniform and food? Personally, I'd feel a sense of personal disappointment if I found myself down that route. Seems to me that it's more a case of buying yer way into a dream, something which (through experience) I am no longer willing to do. However, each to their own of course.....
...not one iota of self-pity here: in fact quite the opposite.

That said, we all have our weaker moments, and a cry for help is a natural human response when all else has failed, as the grim evidence of cockpit voice recorders often attest, but usually only in the final few seconds after all else has indeed failed - as opposed to just after things start going wrong and accompanied by impotent rage directed towards alleged failings of the operator, manufacturer, engineers, ATC or whatever.

The current situation is probably such that anyone unchallenged by glaring defincies in terms of motor co-ordination, analytical intelligence and a basic grounding in social skills can probably get "the gig" somewhere or other without too much difficulty if they have bottomless pockets, or connections, or preferably both - although responsible operators would presumably prefer to see some additional evidence of above average emotional stability from their CV and not just from a multiple choice questionaire which any half-wit can be drilled to pass.

Also,do not underestimate the importance of kiwi chick's question:-
Why are you flying? Because you love being in the air and all it entails, the freedom, the fun, the absolute love?
Or because you want to sit in a bar with gold bars on your shoulders and tell all the girls you're an Airline Pilot?
To the extent that the second answer appeals to you more than the first, you are simply hoist by your own petard on account of being priced out of the gold bar market - although, as Robert Burns once said...

The rank is but the guinea's stamp,
The man's the gold, for a' that.

Many integrated-route FO's have shockingly little time in command outside of the little they had during a carefully structured and monitored training environment, so it is therefore little wonder that the airlines are short of pilots suitable to command their aircraft, and no pilot worth his salt would assume that anyone who happens to fly a bigger aeroplane is therefore a better pilot - although they may (or may not) be richer.

If you seriously object to the spiv culture in the airline job market, or anywhere else for that matter, and would like to see a change the way things are done, then good for you - but think carefully why, and only then how. There's no point about getting all political about the rules just because you happen to be losing in a game you'd be happy enough with if you'd been dealt a better hand.

In the meantime, straighten up and fly right... and good luck!

Last edited by Blackshift; 1st Aug 2007 at 12:29.