PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More Overseas Maintenance ! ! !
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2007, 00:26
Section28- BE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Contracted MRO's

This one caught my eye back in February of this year, and have pondered since if the work was done on or offshore???, I don’t think it got any coverage at the time.

Apart from the initial occurrence:

“A duplicate inspection of the elevator control cable run was subsequently carried out by two licensed aircraft maintenance engineers (LAMEs). Both engineers had concerns about the ‘heavy’ feel of the elevators. A noise was heard near the vicinity of the incorrectly routed cable, however, the LAMEs believed the noise was the result of a cable seal rub. They did not initiate a thorough inspection to positively determine the source……”

The Structural aspect and Ultimate Time in Service with the defect- intrigued me, would be interested in any thoughts or knowledge about the incident, of those assembled here??

ATSB Aviation Safety Investigation Report – Final
Release Date: 05 February 2007

Flight control system event; Boeing Company 737-X00, VH-#@^

“...a Boeing Company 737-X00 aircraft, registered VH-#%^, completed a scheduled flight from Melbourne, Victoria to Sydney, NSW. The pilot then reported that the aircraft had ‘heavy’ flight controls. An inspection by maintenance engineers revealed that the left lower rear elevator cable was incorrectly routed around a stiffener and that the stiffener and cable section had been damaged as a result of contact between them.”…..

“In the last week of July 2005, a contract maintenance organisation had replaced eight elevator control cable sections during a scheduled heavy aircraft maintenance check.”

“The aircraft was released to the aircraft operator on 1 August 2005 and remained in service until the pilot in command reported the ‘heavy’ flight controls on 9 August 2005.”…..

Link to Full Report below (trusting that it is functional??):

ATSB Report: 05Feb07- Cable B73-X

Go easy now- new at this……