PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - aircraft wreck survey bristol channel,help please
Old 29th Jul 2007, 10:07
chris collins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aircraft wreck survey bristol channel,help please

Hi, I saw your old thread on pilots forum about the mosquito,
I have been a aviation archaeologist for 20 years, and have access to a EOD magnetometer
i have lists of many incidents, nearly all the aircraft losses from 1930 to 1999 ,and i am active in the field of research
recovery a restoration,I wondered if you could shed any light on the location of the engine, and more importanly have seen any other
aircraft in the channel,there must be at least 20 or so maybe more,quite a few up by lydney,the one ive been trying to get a pinpoint
on is the german Dornier 217 E4 that crashed on the mud in 1943,mid air colission with another bomber,which blew up,the bomber i was looking for was seen intact upside down a few days later by spitfires of 53 otu (Llandow) about 1 mile north of Woodspring bay on a sand bar and a local fisherman reports to seeing a complete aircraft in this area in the 1990s there are many out there ,including spitfire a Oldbury sands and a complete(minus tail) Bristol Blenhiem near Lydney which "Popped up" in the 1970s (Ive seen photos) and a Mustang mark 1 near lydney which ditched but pilot died due to head injuries reports state at the time a rescue crew came out to the wreck and rescued the body of the pilot ,,but when the RAF came to take the aircraft it had "disappeared" after the next tide,this is just a few, there is also a few Hienkel 111, a gladiator , a Hampden, Beaufort,mosquito,whitley, Lancaster SW278, corsair,javelin,whirlwind,typhoon,welington,various spitfires,harrier,
and this is all just from memory, i would have to consult my records (10000s of them) to find them all properly,
It may even be that some of you light aircraft pilots have made a grid ref or note on your flight charts as a point of interest.
I am thinking of charting a small boat and with a magnetometer start charting these wreck sites before they are lost for good , so i would appreciate any help you or anyone else could please provide,on locations, photos or siteings of anything out there over the years
many thanks
chris collins