PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Overwing Exits and Frequent Fliers?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2007, 23:51
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
F3G agreed to close the matter and SXB promptly reopened it - and that included the can of worms ...

SBX says 'my definition' and that is important. It is also relevant that the word is currently changing it's definition in popular understanding. This has happened for understandable reasons, part being that the British political class of the 1980s undermined the words trade and tradesman. Now, everyone wants to be a professional but they choose a career that is not a profession. Hence the definition of the word migrating.

In the UK and, I suspect, many other English speaking countries, the professions are those such as medicine and the law. F3G set out a good description of why they are such. I might strive for a professional approach to my work but I am not a member of a profession. Those that think F3G is trying to antagonise have, in my view, misunderstood that he is trying to clarify the correct use of English. We all understand that words change their meanings over time and this might be one of them but the change is not complete by any means.