PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So where are all the jobs then?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2007, 10:56
fatobs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I must say some people’s attitude on this thread beggar’s belief. The airlines do not owe you anything

I am in the same position as most of you, I finished all my licences in May and have been sending out CV’s to all in sundry, with no joy, however unlike most “wannabes” I have substantial aviation experience. In 16 years in the Navy I flew nearly 4000 hrs in Seaking helicopters over 2000 of which were as Aircraft Captain and the last 5 years were spent flying Search And Rescue aircraft.

I do not expect to be treated any differently because of this, in fact I believe I am at a slight disadvantage due to my age, so rather than winging here is what I have done:

- Got an FI rating, it doesn’t pay much but where else are you going to get the experience.
- Applied to many GA type flying (fisheries protection, Photo recce work)
- Looked abroad
- Applied to all the TP operators
- Been realistic – I am not going to walk into a job with BA / Virgin no matter how much I wish it, maybe in 10 years but not yet.

Above all STOP WINGING, be proactive, get some B***s and grow up, there are far worse places to be.

Now as I have a wife and 2 children I am off to work “ would you like to go large???”