PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Today i got my SPiN TRAINING!
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2007, 01:53
kiwi chick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That said I suspect that the most likely time to pitch the average tin can into a spin is around the base turn which is gonna result in a smoking hole no matter what the hands and feet do
That exact thing happened here a few years ago Mark1234 - interesting reading, CAA Accident report extract:

1. Factual information
1.1 History of the flight
1.1.1 On 21 January 2003, the student pilot had scheduled a solo training sortie with a Paraparaumu-based training organisation. On his arrival at the aerodrome, he discussed the flight with his instructor, particularly with regard to the suitability of the wind conditions for circuit work.
1.1.2 It was agreed that the instructor would accompany the student initially, to confirm that the wind strength was acceptable for the student’s level of experience.
1.1.3 After two circuits using runway 34, the instructor was satisfied that the student was competent to continue on his own, and sent him solo.
1.1.4 The first circuit resulted in a go-around. During the second circuit the aircraft had reached a late downwind position from where it normally would have turned on to base leg, and was next seen in a spin or spiral towards the ground.
1.1.5 The aircraft collided with a wooden power pole at the front of a residential property and continued at a steep angle of descent into the front yard of the property. The pilot was killed in the impact sequence.
Perfect flying conditions but low hour pilot - I'm sure there are plenty of similar accidents?

(Sorry i would have provided link to this but opens as a PDF on webpage, got a bit lost...)