PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Today i got my SPiN TRAINING!
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2007, 01:46
Mark1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spinning.. been there, done that - in gliders (still compulsory). Scared the cr*p out of me as a slightly nervous stude - took me a while to get over it - these days it's part of my new type familiarisation routine: high tow and explore stalling in various manners and the odd spin, get used to the feel, and the reactions of that particular aeroplane. But then gliders spend a lot of time going round in circles near to the stall...

Now I'm training powered, I *will* do spinning. Not looking forward to it I'll confess as these short winged heavy things are far more vicious in departure than I'm used to. But I'll feel more comfortable for having done it. I'll also do aeros - doing that in gliders has done wonders for my confidence and comfort in handling - it's made 'unusual attitudes' if not quite usual, not completely abnormal either!

One thing experience has taught is that stall/spin avoidance is all well and good.. but it's amazing what you can miss when overloaded/otherwise focussed. Kinda hard to miss having entered a spin however, and nice to have recovery actions instinctive.

That said I suspect that the most likely time to pitch the average tin can into a spin is around the base/final turn which is gonna result in a smoking hole no matter what the hands and feet do