PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Overwing Exits and Frequent Fliers?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2007, 23:34
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Angel

FF know it alls? Yep, seen 'em and heard 'em in the 41 years that I have been a pax. I'm not FF but just a regular one across that time and on more models of a/c than I can remember.

It is true ChristiaanJ that you occasionally find belts where the buckle has been reversed and you have to reach deep between the seats to unsnap the shackle, return it to the correct orientation and then make sure that the shackle has not just 'snapped' but that it's safety latch is correctly positioned too..

kingair9
KLM did the very best thing I can imagine in the 80s: They invited their frequent flyers to AMS for a safety day in which they were allowed to open doors and wing exits, to "shoot" a slide etc. I was one of the lucky ones to go there and once you had completed this "training" you were always marked on the PIL and in your booking. So you would automatically get these seats and the crew would know that you had been in the training.

I do understand that cost does not allow such things any more ...
That is certainly the problem - cost. But just think what an interesting marketing angle it would be to do it now? I woul say that many pax would pay a contribution in cash or FFMs. The research department at Cranfield are set up for this I think? I have often heard that the 'plug' doors are very heavy and would like to know just how it feels to manipulate one when there is time to find out.

leeUK I could not agree more. If I am in coach, then I try to get right down the back as I presume that my fellow pax will plug the gap. It has the added benefit of allowing you to watch everyone scramble off at the destination, walk in a leisurely manner to the carousel and find them all waiting there - just as your bag arrives!

I would rather have off-duty FC + CC in the emergency exits because their training has them thinking that something might go wrong. Whereas pax always think that everything will go right. I equate this with a simple rule from my driving instructor, "Approach every traffic light expecting that it will go red - not that it will stay green."