PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Overwing Exits and Frequent Fliers?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2007, 14:44
WHBM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
It is indeed despicable that some carriers charge extra for these seats, as if it is some sort of bonus to be there. In fact it is an obligation to fellow passengers. It has spread through the holiday charter world. Do Virgin Atlantic still do it ? In any reasonable aviation world the CAA would have stamped this one out pronto.

I know that some pax (frequent or not) pay no attention to the safety briefing, but on the other hand there are a number of us who do, and who engage our fellow passengers who make comments about it being "useless" in informed discussion on the point (which tends to go along the lines of "if you were flying GA with me and I said "hey ho the checklist is useless, never had a problem", how confident would you feel).

If you are cabin crew you may have spotted me one day, I'm the one who when you say "life vest" actually feels under the seat to see it is there

Like D I above I like spotting the errors in the documented procedures, or just the plain stupities.

A very few carriers placard the overwing exits with their weight, although it's an awkward position to get into only to be surprised you have to swing half a hundredweight.

Even fewer have any clear instruction to look out of the window first to see if the exit route is clear of fire. Now there are not many plaudits for Ryanair around, but this is one thing they do mark up.

In passing, if you are qualified crew, is the most effective position to be at the exit where you will be first out and then gone from the scene ? Should you not be maybe one row behind, from where you can direct the mass in how to get through the exit most efficiently.