PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So where are all the jobs then?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2007, 14:01
Northern Highflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In a similar situation to Desk Pilot myself. Over 35, qualified in 2005, and went back to my old job after qualifying to help pay the bills. Found hours hard to come by recently, and not in a position to follow the FI route yet due to finances, getting time off work, etc. Same reasons why I won’t go for a TR, but I am against buying the speculative TR anyway.

I went into this eyes wide open, didn’t expect a jet job to fall into my lap, indeed a TP job was preferable for the fun and experience of it all, but alas the only interview in the last 2+ years was for a jet operator which didn’t work out. I have seen all my friends get jobs recently, some knew people “on the inside”, some worked in the aviation environment, some paid for a speculative type rating. Well done to them I say.

But do I wallow in self pity ? Not at all, I get frustrated and annoyed at times, but no self pity. With hours hard to come by, companies like flybe who want 50 hours in the last 12 months don’t want my application, as are some of the larger airlines. One TP operator recently took great pleasure in verbally tearing me off a strip for having the audacity to phone them up about jobs as they are so busy and they don’t appreciate it. This despite me being told by someone who works for them that I need to speak to the right people as CV’s are a waste of time.

I am sure there are a few on here will reply with the usual, ‘if you want it enough’ and ‘nobody owes you a living’ etc, but I have never thought the latter, and I do want the former, but not at absolutely any price. As Desk Pilot alludes to, you have to live a bit and I do have other commitments besides flying. So I won’t be giving up the day job, selling the house, living in my car (assuming I haven’t sold that as well), and living on beans for the next few months while I do an FI and/or TR course. When the opportunity presents itself to do more I will take it with both hands, but until then I will try not to upset anyone else when I phone up about their recruitment plans.

If only the shortage of pilots was as real as the magazines make it out to be in their articles.