PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So where are all the jobs then?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2007, 12:44
MrHorgy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by L A James
If it's that much of an 'old boys network' industry then maybe the jobs are going to students from particular schools?
They are! Without reopening the whole integrated vs modular debate again which has been discussed ad nauseum, you WILL find this happens. BA is a prime example. I see nothing wrong with saying you need 85% passes in your exams, but why do you have to go to Oxford? What if I get 100% in my exams but go modular, am I less of a pilot to you?

I worry for people who have a genuine desire to fly, but (like I) cannot afford the astronomical cost of integrated training. How they are costed is beyond me, especially when you get more hours with modular flying!

If airlines operated fair recruitment schemes open to all who were qualified, and didn't setup cosy deals with flight schools then they'd be more opportunities for all. You only have the industry to blame.

*end rant*

In the meantime there's nothing wrong with taking an FI route, infact it's something i've recent given thought to. Sabena Flight Academy are doing a 2year contract out in Arizona (with free FI rating, if I read correctly) to teach people to fly, that's an opportunity i'd love to take, but i'm only part way through my ME!