PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So where are all the jobs then?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2007, 11:52
pilotmike

Received 73 Likes on 21 Posts
Vito Corleone - I usually try to offer help, advice and encouragement to those who are looking for a bit of moral support, especially to those who seem to want to help themselves. However the positive posts here, including mine, clearly didn't seem to help your attitude one jot.

Taking a reality check, very few pilots would ever get a job purely on the basis of one senior person they know in the industry. It might get them an interview at best, but pilot jobs are invariably offered on merit, taking their attitude into account. So they have to prove their suitability, their flying skills, their personality, and most importantly of all, their teachability during the interview. The recruiting captain will usually ask himself "could I sit next to this person for 6 hours, with no escape?" Given your rant about the state of the industry and the mini lecture on
Brittish [sic] capitalist society
I think you would answer their question very clearly - NO!!!!

Why be so angry that the obvious route through instructing, smaller operators and turbo props to jets is slowly becoming clear to you? Surely your research before blowing your cash would show you that this is a very normal and sensible route. I'm sure you didn't jump straight into a Bentley turbo to do paid chauffeuring the day you passed your driving test? Why do you believe that the airlines are any different?

I flew for over 20 years, logging thousands of hours, instructing for much of it on almost anything that could fly, hang gliders, paragliders, gliders, microlights, aeroplanes and helicopters before I chose fly commercially in the airlines. It taught me a lot. I rather think that you still have an awful lot to learn before you have the remotest chance of succeeding in aviation. Why do you believe that you are owed a highly paid jet job 'straight out of school' when others have worked hard and worked their way up through the industry, learning as they go, for many years?

The weight of chips on your shoulder would make it almost impossible for you to fly. I came across many like you in my 17 years of teaching flying and each was a nightmare. Thankfully there were many more who made it a pleasure to teach, with their positive attitude, and willingness to learn. To succeed means having to learn. To learn means having to change. To change requires a positive, open mind, and to be adaptable. You show none of these essential qualities. And believe me, being teachable is the most important attribute when undertaking a type rating and line training - especially when the employer is paying!

For now, my best advice would be to save any money you have left - it could very well be wasted if spent chasing an airline job. Of all potential pilots, you are one of the prime candidates for self funding a type rating - no one else is going to do so for you with your attitude. You have just publicly advertised to every airline, every HR / recruitment department your true colours - what an own goal - I'm going red for you right now. Carry on like that, and you'll continue to score massive own goals, and you'll stay firmly earthbound.

Whereas you write of
this rancid industry:
it seems that it is your attitude that stinks. Nobody is owed anything in life, and never does this become clearer than in aviation, where attitude is everything.
With so much bitterness and bile spouting forth, I really doubt whether you are employable as a pilot. Certainly, for most interviewers, if you showed any hint of your hatred of the industry, you would be out of the interview room before you knew it.

Whilst you reflect on this, you might also wish to consider the impression that the application form / letter / CV makes when landing on the interviewer's desk. Given that there are normally 50 CVs to be weeded out to select the 2 to be chosen for interview, you have already made that selection process so much easier with your spelling errors, even before you start your vitriolic outburst about the industry which you arrogantly and mistakenly expect to employ you.

I wish I could be more positive for you, but you reap what you sow. Positive thinking breeds success, and bitterness breeds failure. The ball is in your court, but presently your airline career appears doomed to failure.

Last edited by pilotmike; 26th Jul 2007 at 14:37.