PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PVR rates at 10 year high.
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2007, 10:14
blogger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I placed the post ref the death rates (US V's UK) in Iraq just to see how it would be taken and the sort of response it would get. Hard facts there are no getting away from them.

For me after 25 years (plus 5 in the ATC) I have loved the RAF since a small lad. However things have changed too far now.

Years ago we always seemed to be firefighting at work I guess that was to keep us on our toes and breed a 'Can do approach.' But that good will has been taken to the limit and pushed over the top, to such an extent I for one say NO we just can't keep pushing and pushing with less men and kit to attempt to even try to do the same job any more.

I have to to stand up to my boss and say no to the jobs to hand. Why? I still want jets to fly knowing they are safe to do so. I am fed up with the feeling or ERRRRRRRR in the back of my mind. It's not my bum on the seat but it's my neck on the line. Problem is that this just makes for longer working hours, quality has a price, but so does my home life.

As for the Airforce dumming down, it has been slow comming in but look carefully you will see it. No more second and third line techies required, its back to Flem's (fuel and tyres.) Lower technical training standards is showing it's ugly head, C/T's and Sgt's are now required to solve real snags that JT's and Cpl's once could do.

So what's my reason for going:

Risk managment has taken over from the time given to do quality work. Dumming down (Training).
Spares and poor kit (No kit.)
Home life.
Slow promotion.
Suit case living in 18 man tents in the sand pit for 4 months at a time. (The Army has it worse I know.)
JPA and actual expenses that just take so much time to do (bring back rates and F1771's).
Choice of postings has gone for good. An overseas tour means the sand pit.
Longer working hours.
The lack of someone that will stand up and fight for the rights of servicmen/women without worrying about their own promotion plan.
Blair and Bush taking us into Iraq that was just plain wrong.
No let up (no light at the end of the tunnel) it just keeps getting worse and my bubble has popped. It's time to move on and leave more work for the poor bugger's still left in, sorry guy's.

Best thing I have seen in years to put a ray of light on the Airforce was pay 2000......er 2001. At least that gave us a nudge up with pay.

Where's that chuff chart.