PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MCL - Is it Mickey Mouse?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2007, 16:07
Mach086

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tony,

Trust me, I'm far from making my mind up. Whilst 50-60% cheaper than an ATPL, not much point me doing it if all airlines are of the same opinion as you that this is a Mickey Mouse course (my own words admitedly). I am just playing devils advocate so I get as much views as possible whilst stading up for the MPL.

"My understanding of the MPL is this, you can only fly one type of aircraft.... so that means for example a Airbus A320 and not any other model of Airbus.
Who told you Airbus has 50% of the market..... there have been over 5000 B737's built and an awful lot of them are still in the air, it is the worlds most popular passenger jet"

Again my point was missed. I'm saying that IF an airline was hiring for A320 positions and it was open to Pilot Graduates (not just 40 year olds with 4000 hours) , surely the guy with an MPL for the A320 is in a better position than the ATPL guy who has spent 1.5 years in a cessna?

"Who told you Airbus has 50% of the market"

Also, I'm amaking the assumption that as Boeing and Airbus more or less manufacture the same amount of planes (give or take 25-50 planes a year - whoever is winning in terms of builds/sales) then I'm making an educated guess that they have 50% of the market. And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it universally accepted that across the whole of the Airbus Fleet there is much more cockpit cross-functionality/comonality (318/319/320/321/330/340) compared with Boeings Fleet. I think 757/767 is the closest they have, with 747 being completely different to 737/757/767 etc.

Which concludes that an MPL graduate has at least a 50% chance of flying in an airline due to the Airbus A320 license( and thus a 'commonality' with ALL airbus planes), compared with the ATPL graduate who has no Airbus/Boeing license at all and thus a much reduced chance of getting their foot in the door unless British Airways starts flying cessnas to singapore?

Again, i really welcome your thoughts Tony- especially as you actually are a Pilot and fly for an airline. Please keep them coming everyone. I rally do thank you for ALL your advice. I want people to slate the MPL (with good reasons) if you want, and i want to be able to argue against it until I have no more arguments and agree with the rest of you. So Please, keep them coming.