PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So where are all the jobs then?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2007, 13:14
expedite08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A very down to earth thread this. A reality check and something that every wannabe should read. It should be a sticky I think. Its all very true, where are the jobs???
There are some disturbing accounts on here and I think the people who have shared that with us deserve a pat on the back for having the balls to do so. Im at the point where I am about to blow 25k away on all this flying lark. but am I??? This is the question. As much as I want to fly professionally the industry is obscene in its ways and methods.
Recruitment is not at all consistent. Examples are of billy boy with 250 hours walking strainght in a job after flight training and a person who has over 1000 hours and multi experince not getting sniffed at sometimes by the same company! Certainly for me this a severe worry.
Where I work now and in most normal industries if you have the credentials, ie qualifications, and dont make a **** of yourself by not filling in an application correctly, you usually have a chance of proving yourself in front of that employer at an interview, ie being given a chance.
The Aviation industry is so very ramdom in its recruiting methods. It is literally a lottery. This opinion has been stated on here before, but it is the most suitable anaolgy to put the situation. You buy your tickets all 30 to 60 grands worth, and hope for the best!!
The question is do I want to spend my 25 grand on lottery tickets? No one in thier right mind would do it for Camelot!! So why do it for a job?
Im still deciding.