PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Relocating or new to Darwin?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2007, 02:46
Erin Brockovich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a solution, but the bleeding hearts are not going to like it. My career has been wide and varied so I feel eligible to comment from my first hand experiences.

Mr. Hat is on the right track. Welfare is the problem. It causes dependency on the government; self esteem issues; no purpose for existing day to day; boredom; frustration; hopelessness; alcoholism; violence; abuse etc. If anyone has ever been on the dole then they would understand how lazy you can get. I was on it for 6 months and struggled to get out of bed at lunchtime by the end.

Now the hard part. It would take a generation to change. The children are the key.

Firstly we have to make all citizens of our great country equal. I would suggest calling Aboriginals - ‘Australians of Aboriginal decent’. We all have different backgrounds and heritage, but we are first and foremost Australians. No one wants to see other groups receive special treatment, nor want to receive special treatment themselves.

Next would be to regulate the welfare and eventually cut it off. Some communities were using the kid’s school attendance leveraged against the parent’s access to the clubs. We need to break the cycle where the children only see mum or dad going to a hole in the wall, receiving cash for doing nothing, spending most of it on gabling and alcohol, then fighting throughout the night. No wonder Aboriginal teens are so withdrawn from society. They can see their future is bleak, so what’s the point in living.

The challenge will be society realising that integration is what’s needed. Communities in their current states don’t work. There is no accountability, no real commerce, no individual ownership (which goes against their culture) or pride. No jobs which means no self worth. The days of living off the land are long gone. Consuming KFC and VB under a tree is as close as it gets in some communities.

Need to run but I might continue my thoughts later on. Do you really think the governments bandaid reaction to a problem that they created is the answer?