PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Strange habits of your copilots...
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2007, 05:50
John Citizen

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
all captains are training captains
I disagree.

I believe to be a training captain you need to be able to fly with a very high standard and to have been thoroughly checked out to ensure strict standardised compliance with SOP's.

The reason I say this is that some of the captains I fly with fly to a poor standard and have poor SOP's.

2 of my captains never believe in doing a preflight external inspection because the engineers do it anyway. Every brief is simple 2 words "standard brief".

Instrument check "all looks ok here" (but HDG bug, QNH, speed bugs, CDI and assigned altitude not set !!)

These captains expect me to comply with their ways because they are just too lazy and couldn't care about doing it properly.

So are you now telling me that they should be training me to fly this way ?

How can this be a case of my confidence outweighing my ability ?

I am not perfect and also make mistakes but I have to admit that I have seen a few very incompetent captains out there and for them to train me to fly their way would be a joke and going backwards.

Just because you are a captain does mean that you perfect, know everything (like some think they do) and that you always fly better than a copilot in every possible way. There sometimes might be better techniques out their (which an FO might use).

Also as you know, every pilots has their own flying technique and their own perception of what the SOP'say and what good airmanship is. I have seen large variations between various captains yet in their own mind they all believe to be follwing the SOP's. Makes it worse when they expect me to fly "their" way.

What this means as an FO, I have to adapt the way I fly with every different captain because they all have "trained me" differently.

I shouldn't have to review my book of notes on each captain before I fly (as I do) to ensure I fly "their way". Its very confusing for me and it makes my life very difficult if I have to fly a different way with every captain.
Quite often what 1 captain says or does completely contradicts what another says.

I just don't know what is right or wrong anymore

A lot of times i really want to say just " OFF" and leave me alone.
This is not a training flight/line check and you are not a check/training captain either.

Last edited by John Citizen; 23rd Jul 2007 at 06:21.