PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 7
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 7
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2007, 08:59
groundhand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transwede.
Whilst I do not disagree with the content I think you miss one factor - the airlines have to bear some responsibility as they are responsible for their schedule and they have been responsible for driving down the revenues paid to the handling agents which prevents the investmnent needed in GSE and staff.
Just look at the UK performance of the main 4 agents serving the UK over the last few years.
Only Menzies make money and they do that mainly from their Far East operations and Cargo divisions.

Unless airlines are prepared to pay sensible money for GH services they will continue to get under staffed, under equipped service providers.

I do have some sympathy for the Airport as they are playing catch-up after years of the Government preventing them from accessing monies available to commercial enterprises. Throughout the 90's they could not go to the market and borrow money at commercial rates and had to fund development through cash flow. The lack of investment then has come home to roost now. Major funding is required to take the airpoirt to the next level. This will include land expansions into the areas they already own; a completely new terminal; multi storey car parks (just look at some of the German airports who locate carparks 1 - 2 km away from the terminals and have monorails to bring pax to and from) and new office facilities.

Now I'm off to take my reality pills...