PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private helicopter training / ownership
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2007, 09:30
John Eacott

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
There's some good advice here, Lostpiano has made some very valid points.

As a long time helicopter and fixed wing driver(yes, I have FW multi, etc, but still don't reckon running up and down runways to get airborne will ever catch on ), I always recommend that new starts should go FW to gain airmanship, etc, before progressing to the extra manipulative skills required for helicopter. Regardless of age.

Time to solo for (most) helicopter pilots is significantly greater than for trainee fixed wing, and this is inevitably as a result of the high workload required. Not just learning to balance an inherently unstable machine, using both hands, both feet, but also using the spare to read maps, change radio freqs, etc.

How much easier is it to get the airmanship out of the way on a stable aircraft which will fly itself (as a good traning aircraft should), gain a PPL(FW), then use part of those hours as a credit toward the PPL(H)?

Re the helicopter choice: that'll be dependant on the individual's preference and budget, but please, please, keep well away from homebuilts, R22's, and anything that hasn't been thoroughly inspected before purchase. The JetRanger is a good choice, reliable, predictable, comfortable (if well maintained and track & balanced), and cheap to run. The R44 is a competitor, but it's only pilot + 3 pax, and no baggage space, Cf the JetBox 4 pax and a reasonable boot.

My 2 cents' worth