PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private helicopter training / ownership
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2007, 03:03
Swingwing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Private helicopter training / ownership

Dear All,

Hope someone has time and / or interest enough to give me some expert advice here.

My boss here at work (CEO of Big Bloodsucking Corporation Inc) will shortly retire to his estate in the Southern Highlands of NSW. Appropriately cashed up with enormous super payout and stock options, and with lots of business commitments still in Sydney, he is wondering about the commute (yes, sounds like a nice problem to have, doesn't it..)

Because I don't have anything else to do (!), he's asked me to advise him on whether he's too old (60) to learn to fly a helicopter, if not, how should he go about it, what sort of helo would he buy, blah blah.

It's been a while since I had any need to understand civilian licences and so on, but my initial thinking is:
  • He should think about doing a fixed wing PPL first, in order to assimilate basic skills at a lower cost and level of complexity
  • He can then step up to a PPL (H) on a Robinson or similar
  • NVFR would probably be a minimum requirement, but IFR is an extra step up again - I'd recommend taking the Jag if the wx is $hite

Anyone have any differing views, ie step straight into the chopper instead of fixed wing? (he's never flown anything before).

Also, I searched on Bankstown, but any suggestions as to who I can call for advice, rates etc on helicopter training?

appreciate any and all advice,

SW