PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Congrats to the Pilots Who Stood Up For Reason
Old 15th Jul 2007, 05:14
fallen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure, you could say that they shouldn't get bothered by that sort of things, but the fact remains, you can get bothered.
I've always thought that if you're going to get infuriated by something that happens at security, even if you have a particularly obnoxious screener, you probably should look for a new career. If you can't handle taking your shoes off/surrendering that tube of toothpaste etc, how are you going to deal with a flight related problem. For example the Rumours and News forum contains a thread about delays at JFK. 90 mins doing a tiki tour of the airport taxiways waiting for your turn to depart is not uncommon. What are you going to do, cut across the grass to get to the front of the queue. I doubt it. Instead you'll apply the same sort of conflict management skills that you should be using at security.

I will point out that all the pilots I as a security screener have dealt with have been nothing but professional. Don't get me started on the professionalism of some of my colleagues though. There's no excuse for being an "obnoxious" screener, coping with difficult situations is part of the job, a chance to put into practice those conflict management and customer service skills you should have.