PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Air NZ Link. There will be a NZ Pilot Shortage!!!
Old 14th Jul 2007, 07:00
Waka Rider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just add another log to the fire. I didn't have hours for Air NZ requirements actually I didn't have enough for Air Nelson Eagle or Mount Cook. However with just over 2000hrs total time BA took me onboard and by complete stroke of luck put me in the right hand seat of the 777. We do not have 2nd officers. In a year or so's time I'm looking at an A320 command after around 7-8 yrs. Another 5 yrs later I'll have a 777 command aged prob 37-39. It could come dramtically forward if another runway opens at either LHR or LGW.

Last year I came home six times and had a total of four months in NZ on holiday. With our rostering system we can have complete control over what we do according to senority. I certainly enjoy coming home particularly Paua fritters in Tauranga at the wharf, pig hunting and going to some games at Jade.

My job enables me to have a lifestyle that was not possible in NZ and I know for a fact at the age of 28 I was making more money and flying less hours than my Dad who is F/O on the jumbo for Air NZ. Now the haters out there will point out that the exchange rate makes the difference in salary. Well try being a 2nd officer or even a first officer making what 120-150 trying to buy a 800,000 dollar house in Remuera,Meadowbank, Mission Bay etc with the way house prices and interest rates are going in NZ I reckon its alot harder to get on the property ladder back home on Air NZ pay scales than it is over here. And look what 800,000 buys you in Auckland now.

Currently I'm living in a very small country village in the South Downs fairy similar to something like Fairlie. My rugby club and gliding airfield are on the same paddock and I'm 20 mins drive to the beach.

So not every expat is living in Dubai, Hong Kong or Singapore some of us just quietly tick along being able to get the days off each month through our rostering system, smile and be pleased that we no longer have to be in the dog eat dog world of kiwi aviaition other than when I'm flying down to CHC to whatch Christ's College or Canterbury play rugby.

Its not that bad being an expat and flying for BA. I figure in around 10-15 yrs I'll be 45 I prob leave here and semi retire too farming or growing wine.