PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA Cargo: Divorced and Improved??
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2007, 20:40
BANANASBANANAS

Received 122 Likes on 62 Posts
Thanks,

I think most of us prefer just to develop the skills and experience of our new F/Os by leading by example - such as doing the walkround in the rain when the F/O is PF, making it clear that, as PM, it is my job to fill in the CFP, VR, complete the ACARS, make the tea etc etc - I understand there are still cases of "You can have the sector provided you also do all the paperwork and take the radios."

An informal, friendly chat in the bar post flight also helps more than some might think.

I am not sure whether it is a result of ab initio training or culture but I spent a goodly part of my last (very long) COP trying to get my (very capable, very keen and very inexperienced) F/O's to refrain from addressing me as "Sir" - all very polite and respectful but not conducive to producing a Flight Deck atmosphere in which I can reassure the F/O of his value to the operation and mildly amusing when I am buying him a pint.

I will refrain from commenting on the appropriateness or otherwise of putting 300 hour pilots in the RHS of a B744, but it is a very big step for pilots of limited experience to take and they deserve a lot of credit for getting their second stripe. However, whilst I will render all possible assistance to our new F/O's, I do feel the company needs to keep a close eye on experience levels in the RHS. The uncertainty regarding command courses as a significant number of our more experienced F/Os enter the last few months of their contracts could cause an experience vacuum in the RHS.

Last edited by BANANASBANANAS; 13th Jul 2007 at 23:13.