PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA Cargo: Divorced and Improved??
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2007, 08:15
skiesfull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newfreighter,
Having read the original posting by portquartercv67, I do not see any mention of incompetent F/O's, merely inexperienced ones. Do not turn this thread into another Captain Vs Co-pilots - it is not warranted. I have found the ex-ab initio co-pilots to be keen,knowledgable and respectful. However, SIA is the only airline in the world to put such pilots directly onto B744's and B777's. The simulator and line training is designed to bring the trainee up to the minimum standard required by the CAAS and implemented by SIA. It is not designed to turn out experienced F/0's to line flying. Experience can only come with time and assistance from the Captains and other F/O's that the new co-pilots are crewed with. I have nothing but scorn for those line pilots who feel that it is not their 'job' to help the development of junior pilots and it is best left to instructors who are paid extra. Every Captain has a duty to help improve the competence and experience of their co-pilots and every co-pilot should be prepared to give every assistance to his/her Captain in order to achieve a safe flight.
It is good to hear that the Cargo guys feel that their 'lot' is improving, albeit little-by-little. Perhaps there is light at the end of the tunnel yet?