PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Training Europe -v- OAT
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2007, 07:34
captain p

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to add to the pros of Oxford:

You remain in the UK for most of the course, so it is of course very easy to drive, get public transport home.

Phoenix is supposed to be fun. By that you should have made enough friends to enjoy yourself out there in the US. You probably wont have time to feel home sick! Plus the distance may force you to concentrate without the distractions of returning home at the weekend. My friends say they would love to visit Phoenix if I go with OAT.

Every aerodrome you go to, the locals will be speaking English Plus if you become a commercial pilot, be prepared to visit lots of different airports, you wont take off at LHR, circle and then land!

Its preety unfair to use the example of BA's sponsorship students training at FTE as a pro, as I believe they were also sent to Oxford and others. Furthermore in 2005/06 OAT's BA self sponsored students made up 56% of the F/Os ssps at BA. Also bear in mind that Willie Walsh (BA CEO visited Oxfords ball and trained there when he went to become a pilot with Willie Walsh). OAT also produced the youngest captain for GB, however FTE are used by GB for SSP.

OATs employment stats are open and very impressive. BA peaked in 2005, recruiting 35 grads. 27 in 06, and 20 so far this year.

There is skills protection with OAT and you dont start paying until 6 moths after.

You have to pay for OATs skill selection but not with Jerez, possibly because they wouldnt have anyone visiting them if you had to pay with free flights+taxes and charges, food costs and overnight accomodation??

There seems more self sponsorship schemes associated with FTE.

GAPAN have also sent students to a flying school in Europe!

Im not trying to put either flying school down. This is just my honest opinion of what i have researched, and have not started and flying school yet. I felt the Oxford environment to be a place I could really study. I have had dealings with FTE and I must say there courses too seemed very competitive, impressive and the campus seems really nice.