PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Training Europe -v- OAT
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2007, 01:06
veetwo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe that a flying school can actually do bugger all to land you a job, its all down to you. So any FTO that says that they can get you a job, or "enhance" your employment prospects by choosing them; Is clearly bullshi*ing.
Due respect, but you are mistaken here. Integrated schools these days do certainly play a role in providing (indirectly) jobs to their students. While no school will claim to guarantee you a position come graduation, most will (assuming you performed well on the course) get you an interview.

I graduated from an integrated school and within 2 weeks had an interview, passed and have now just signed a contract to fly A320's. 3 others on my course have done the same. Of the remaining 8, 4 have interviews lined up shortly thanks to the recommendation system in place at the school. At "the other" integrated school, I believe that the course who graduated at the same time as me has seen almost a 100% employment record.

Now, before you jump on me... the jobs come as a result of your success in the airline selection process the entry to which was secured by the school together with your performance. The school never promised me a job when I started my training. I do however have little doubt that I would not be in the position I am in now without their help. In fact I know I wouldn't. They opened the proverbial door and I managed to crawl through it.

At the same time I would caution all those starting their training now to guard against relying on the recommendations system - and part of me thinks that I was foolish to risk so much (a second mortgage on my parents house), and extremely lucky to have got away with it. It seems to me that a lot of the recommendations are down to how you got on with certain staff members... the general consensus being that if you keep your head down, don't cause any trouble and perform reasonably well you will probably get an interview or two. If you mess that up, then you are on your own.

V2