PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From airline to BizJet - way to go
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2007, 12:40
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinion

Coming from airlines and fly general aviation...
Good points and bad points for us airline guys -
xxx
Been flying with airlines since 1968, ex PanAm and will retire soon from Aerolineas Argentinas. I suffered many layoffs and survived to fly as pilot with business jets on a part-time basis.
xxx
In the airlines, I am current as check captain/instructor on the old 747s, and had a career as captain 707, 727 and DC8s. Extensive worldwide experience, no need to say, with 22,000 hours. For business jets, I flew Learjets a lot, and flew right seat (sitting on my hands) in many other bizjets.
xxx
It appears that nowadays, general aviation operators call me for specific assignments, such as flying in areas outside of their experience, that is such as Russia (metric airspace and QFE altimeter procedures) or ask for my assistance because I am multilingual and could assist them outside of the airport dealing with other languages, or call me because they know that I have flown there... They also appreciate that I can position myself either for free, or with reduced airline employee staff tickets.
xxx
I cannot say that my "pairings" with some executive jet captains are very warm initially. They do not like having a co-pilot who potentially might know better (in the case of 727s as an example) than them. Who cares, I will raise the gear, handle the radios and press the ident button when needed. I dont need "stick time" and I will not provide them with dual instruction if they hired me as F/O...
xxx
Then, all of the general aviation operators imagine than airline captains all have a salary of US$ 200,000 a year, and own a BMW 750. Most of us are far away from that type of income and status symbol.
xxx
As I am soon to retire, I thought for some time to continue to fly as a free lance pilot in executive jets. I might consider, but dont expect me, at my age to crawl to the back of a Lear 31 to drag the two 100 kg bags required by the ladies for a short skiing weekend in Bariloche, or an overnight in Viņa del Mar.
xxx
So, if you go from airline to executive jets, I would recommend you get hired to fly a type you are current with, and as captain. For me, accustomed to "steam power gages", all these new toys in modern jets are beyond me.
xxx

Happy contrails