PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Air NZ Link. There will be a NZ Pilot Shortage!!!
Old 11th Jul 2007, 12:33
400Rulz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uni Degree

Hey 40 Below
If that's the requirement (at the present time) then you gotta fly with it. They make the rules, we just fly the machinery. After all, it's not our train set. It's just another way of reducing the number of applicants to a managable number. I remember when they wouldn't take you if you wore glasses.
If it's any consolation, the degree will be the first requirement to go when they start a full scale recruiting drive. I guess your other option is to do an extramural degree, even if it is 2 or 3 papers per year. At least you could then say you are doing one.................
Finally, despite what Labor have been pushing as their social agenda, all men are NOT created equal, therefore do not have equal opportunities. That means companies can set whatever reqs. they want, as long as they do not breach the Human Rights Act. If you want the job badly enough, do something about it.
I'm not trying to be santimonious about this issue. I agree that a degree should not be a requirement. But it is at this time. So your options are limited
And BTW, the government has made a mint out of AirNZ

Last edited by 400Rulz; 11th Jul 2007 at 12:35. Reason: Parting shot