PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dear Deidre - What should I do?
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2007, 09:19
FlyerPhilec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also think it is important to keep one eye on the market but not to let the market lead you into a rash decision as you will inevitably get your fingers burnt.

I cancelled an integrated course shorty after 9/11 and, at the time it seemed sensible but it turned out to be one of the biggest mistakes of my life as I invested the money I had set aside in a business, which crashed and burned and it has taken me a further 5 years to get myself into this position again.

I sound like the voice of authority but I am not - I am just well researched.

In my view, the other benefit of modular is that it leaves a bit of spare cash left over just in case you need to pay for a TR. If you spend £80k on integrated, an additional £20k for a TR (you might not need this but you never know) might be beyond your means.

I am lucky in that my decision has been made for me as I am an old bugger who will need a TR and probably some line experience just to be in a position to compete. I have just spent a week on a risk management course so I know:-

a) that you should always try to minimise risk and the effects of luck
b) that I don't want to spend anymore weeks on risk management courses, or equality and diversity training or 3 hours meetings to discuss the agenda for next weeks five hour meeting

This is all probably more helpful to assure myself rather than for anyone reading this so apologies...and thanks.

Phil