PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Air NZ Link. There will be a NZ Pilot Shortage!!!
Old 11th Jul 2007, 00:07
400Rulz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agenda?

So many conspiracy theorists! It's standard business practice to get labour as cheap as possible. Why pay more if you don't have to? As for getting student loans for flying school - who would do such an idiotic thing? Actually, don't answer that, I know a few idiots who it paid off for, but I suspect they are in the minority. Most of my peers did it the hard way - cleaning a/c in the weekends, working at nights, and flying when they could afford it. When they had enough hours and experience, it was C cat time. Yes, it took about three to four years on average before you could even think CPL, but I know three or four who flew in the islands who did it quicker. Some put up with the RNZAF long enough to get their hours/ratings/exams. The problem with youngsters considering an aviation career these days is that they want everything NOW. I have three daughters (all late teens/early twenties) who were exactly the same, until they realised how much it was going to cost them in the long term, 'coz daddy was not going to pay unless they paid half. And that meant getting a job! Incidentally, none of them are in aviation - I talked them out of it.
Be happy with what you have. The time will come when you are a commodity to the larger airlines. Patience