Old 8th Jul 2007, 13:20
planeenglish

Take me downwind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AIR CHINA 981 - JFK communictaion problems

Dear BelArgUSA,

Please see here...

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=282308

I agree wholeheartedly with you that you all here have a skilled command of the English language (written at least). The problem unfortunately is everywhere. It is a communication problem more than a language proficiency problem.
I believe that in this incident between the Air China and JFK controller, the controller did not help the situation at all by getting upset and using plain language when standard phraseologies sufficed in some situations. I know there are complicated operations at JFK that require one's full attention, it is possible that these pilots of the Air China were new to JFK. Who knows? The FAA. I spoke with some experts and they assure me we need to hear all of the recording of this transmission before making judgments. The journalists, as usual, made a "mountain out of a mole hill". The Air China pilot in the video was announced as having passed the language test when I have been assured by the testing body that he has not. They ignored the representative's statement regarding the fact that radiotelephony procedures were not followed and they translated the transmission incorrectly. RKO???

The problem in communications is real, what the journalists say is not.

Sorry to have taken this thread off subject but I feel it is a real concern. I am so happy to see your forum talking about the problem, let's work together to fix it.

Best to all,
PE