PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Frustrated (?) pilots and security screening
Old 8th Jul 2007, 13:14
winglit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst preparing the tech log for a departure, the capt asked me if he could borrow a screwdriver to tighten up his armrest that had become loose. I gave him my leatherman which I keep on my belt. He looked at me with absolute horror when I opened out the screwdriver blade and said, "My god, that's a lethal weapon!"
Whilst tightening up his armrest, he then went on to say, " So if I was a terrorist and I wanted to bring a lethal weapon on board an aeroplane, all I would have to do is become an engineer?"
To which I replied,"Yes, but that's why the terrorist decided to become a pilot, because it was easier!"
He was an ex-navy fast jet jock, who then lost his sense of humour!
But to add another point to the whinging pilots, do you think that I enjoy being treated as a criminal every time I go to work? I certainly don't enjoy taking my shoes off (even though they have kevlar toecaps and dont go beep), then being touched up by an ugly bloke. I then get back into my van, which has had a cursory check, then drive onto the ramp.
I think that this security issue is completely out of hand where it is controlled by a bunch of people with limited intelligence, but an awful lot of power. A scarey situation if you ask me.
Here's another trick you can play. We have now started getting our sandwiches confiscated. So why not make some really tasty banana and Ex-lax sandwiches! Bon appitit Mr Touchy-Feely security man with an earing, tatoos and bad breath!