PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CC Career Progression into QF Short Haul - News?
Old 8th Jul 2007, 09:35
Mr Seatback 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess the disappointment from the subsidiary crew exists for a number of different reasons.

Whilst the majority of us understand the complexity of the CP agreement, we also feel somewhat 'slighted' by the fact that MAM's have achieved more positions than us. That's not to say they do not deserve these positions - everyone deserves access to them...however, if the positions were at least equal (20 MAM, 20 subsidiary), it would at least seem fairer to the subsidiary crew.

From my perspective, here is my background. Maybe some of my regional counterparts can relate...

I joined Impulse back in early 2001. Soon after, we started flying as QantasLink. A few months later, Qantas purchased us in November 2001. As part of our successive EBA's, we negotiated to be part of Career Progression - not an easy task.

We continued flying as QantasLink...until the grand idea of a low cost carrier was launched - the choice was either a new company (thus threatening our jobs at the time - a veiled threat, but one nonetheless), or using us to become what we know as Jetstar - a complete reversal from full service airline, with overnights, to multi-sector day flying, every day back to home base.

Our choice, at the time, was either stay - or go of our own accord - with the large increase in duty hours, removal of overnights, and the pain associated with introducing a low cost carrier to Australia. Not without our bad press either. No offer to transfer to S/H, VR, etc.

I now find myself 3 years into JQ Domestic. I didn't take international because the AWA was less pay, more work than my current EBA. Whilst I make a concerted effort to enjoy myself and have a good day at work, I average 150 odd hours every month. I generally operate 4 sector days every day. True, it's my choice to stay, but for the majority of subsidiary crew, we 'old timers' have stayed on in the hope to progress to S/H.

Now...almost 6 years on...I feel I've earned the right to transfer. Yet, once again, I've been diddled by circumstances not of my making, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

This system needs to change to ensure hard-working crew like myself, and my colleagues throughout the subsidiaries, are rewarded for their patience and hard work with the carrot that's dangled in front of us year after year (or should that be, every 18 months). And with the goal posts getting changed time after time (8 in 2004, 16 in 2006, and now 5 in 2007...), it's starting to **** me. I'm used to uncertainty, and change...but I don't think I'm asking for too much.

End of rant. Need to drink a sav blanc. This is all too depressing.