PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CC Career Progression into QF Short Haul - News?
Old 8th Jul 2007, 01:17
GalleyHag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oilboiler

You are obviously a crew member of either Eastern or Sunstate, therefore you would or should be familar with the regional progression agreement between the FAAA and Qantas. You will note contained within this agreement is a cluase which activates regional progression and it states along the lines of when 32 or more external applicants are appointed to permanent positions within Qantas short haul ex number will progress from Eastern and Sunstate and I think from memory the numbers are something like 10 and 6 respectively.

I can understand your frustration at the numbers being progressed, however without the MAM crew being made permanent there would be zero movement out of the regionals. Since the introduction of regional progression all those years ago it was only ever actitivated when new crew were recruited off the street so to speak and placed into permanent positions. Back in those days 100 new crew would be offered permanent positions and only 4 people would move from Eastern. Even after Ansett in 2001 many hundreds of people were given permanent positions and only handful progressed from Eastern and Sunstate.

Now that we have MAM casuals any available permanent positions are now offered to that pool of crew rather then the traditional way of general public recruitment. In this case the magic number of 32 external applicants was not reached therefore each airline is getting a token number being 5. Sunstate seems to have done the best considering their normal number of progression is 6.

I certainly appreciate where you are coming from but in this instance you are directing your frustration at the wrong people. The regional progression agreement is now outdated and doesnt take into account the current employment practices of Qantas and as such regional crew suffer.

Lets hope there will be further movement again in the near future, you just never know whats around the corner everything changes day by day lately.

Last edited by GalleyHag; 8th Jul 2007 at 01:32.