PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest Bjorn's 'gift' to his pilots : Pilot Airport Standby!
Old 7th Jul 2007, 07:49
Dixons Cider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dixon, still the ****** you always were
Jack, Jack ....a wonderfully well thought out, professional and mature response. Could I suggest some anger management techniques may be worth considering?

Back to the thread - Is it just me, or do others feel that this latest development, along with the earlier report times, is a veiled way of implying that we are part of GF's poor OTP? I'm not bitching, just think its a bit of a slap in the face. How many times do we cut corners, expedite things, after having been given a seemingly pointless aircraft change etc, just to try and reduce the delay? Why do we do it? After all, its going to be us that has to present ourselves upstairs for tea and biscuits when we screw up because we pushed it too much.

Many potential delays present themselves in the course of a duty, and many times we do our best to minimise them. Its the nature of the game for sure, and it would be correct to say its our professional obligation to do the best we can for our company and its passengers, after all they are the reason we're in our seats. I can quite happily say hand on heart that myself and most of my colleagues do the best we can. I just feel these latest developments and the way they were implemented is tantamount to saying "you boys are not holding up your end of the deal here".

I'm not advocating work to rule or anything ridiculous here. Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but in the current environment of emphasis on OTP and the "push push" mentality, perhaps we just need to sit back some times, take a deep breath, and let things unfold in their natural manner, and so be it with the delay. Especially so in the punitive culture we work in, it'll be our heads that roll when it goes wrong.

Ironbutts example of delaying boarding because of a ridiculosly hot cabin is a classic example of keeping things in perpective, after all the passengers are our business, whats the point of OTP if you have 200 pissed off pax and the associated health risks. And in an ideal world, maybe next time the enginers will connect the ground A/C earlier!!