PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Frustrated (?) pilots and security screening
Old 6th Jul 2007, 18:48
Ropey Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beamer:
Why oh why is our trade ( I hesitate to call it a profession anymore) so full of such arrogant B******ds who think they are above the law because they happen to be pilots. If a group of doctors can be utilised as sleepers for terrorist networks..................... but 'I'm OK, I've got an ATPL' - I don't think so...........
It has absolutely nothing to do with your ATPL it is all to do with your airside pass. If you don't think our security screening is enough - then fine I'll happily agree to more in-depth vetting to get this; but that isn't the point.

When the Capt needs to go for a 'comfort break' I am all alone in the flight deck with a reinforced door. If I wanted to kill everyone on board I could do it quite easily. I could even declare an emergency and dive towards a large city (pretending to go for the airport) and veer off at the last minute to create my own 9/11; no 150ml tube of toothpaste in sight

I am already trusted not to do this - therefore the CAA / UK Govt and anyone elsy you care to mention has alredy decreed me as a non-risk security wise - so why do I have to have my genitals fondled in public(usually by an ugly bloke )regularly at UK airports?

As has already been said - I have no probs with it when I travel as SLF -it is just starting to grate having to do it every day (well every other day- not usually a prob inbound to UK).

And as to being seen to be the same as the pax - if I were SLF I would be moreworried that the pilots were seen to be as much of a risk as they were . And also, they don't know if I have a bottle of shampoo in my luggage or not - the x-ray isn't usually publicly displayed; on several occasions ex-europe I have had a bottle of vino in my luggage and the security staff have spotted it, flagged the bag, seen me then smiled and given me my bag back. Its not that hard Most people who I meet are amazed that we go through the same screening as the pax - but maybe I mix with educated people