PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest Bjorn's 'gift' to his pilots : Pilot Airport Standby!
Old 6th Jul 2007, 15:32
Panama Jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with most of you guys.

I am concerned about a few things.

First of all, I agree with Dixons Cider's definition (right out of OM-A) of what suitable accomidation is.

So since sitting around in a waiting area or lounge in GF headquarters or the airport is not suitable accomidation, "then the appropriate limitation of the flight duty period is applicable to the total of standby and duty period." It becomes a lot like the lounge rest schemes that we have been doing in Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Not a very pretty concept, since at least with the Dubai or Abu Dhabi thing, you had an idea of how long the waiting game was going to last-- or how many pairs of underwear you should pack!

If it is only a 4 hour period, well, I guess that is some relief. However, not much. At a previous airline, is was in our collective agreement that the Company cannot require crews to be on stand-by at the airport.

I sympathise with the problems our Company is going through these days regarding on-time performance and the need to get the thing running like a swiss clock. However, whenever called at short notice, I have always done my best to toss on my uniform, and toss a handful of fishfood into the aquarium before launching to the airport. I live 15 minutes driving time from the airport, and have sometimes been on the flight deck as little as 25 minutes from the time I've been called.

Is this ASBY really necessary, considering the ill feeling it causes?