PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dear Deidre - What should I do?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2007, 11:14
Llen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Deidre - What should I do?

Hi all

This is my first post - so please go gentle on me!

I don't want to bore everyone with my personal circumstances, but essentially I'm a 32 year old fella whose currently working in the financial services industry. I've always dreamed of being a pilot and now I've decided to really go for it. I've no flying experience other than 2 trial flights.

I've recently failed at stage 2 of the Netjets scheme with OAT (passed COMPASS to a sufficient level for APPFO but not good enough for Netjets competition) and in the past was unsuccessful at assessment for the old BA sponsored cadet scheme (let down by verbal reasoning).

My confidence is a bit shot at the moment from these two experiences and I'm questioning my aptitude. I've no doubts around my academic ability but can I really cut it flying?

I will be in the position in the near future of having between £40k - £50k at my disposal which I had planned on spending on flight training - my recent failure is now placing doubts in my mind.

I had planned on going full-on integrated (for which I'd need extra funding) but now I'm thinking perhaps I should slow down, maybe get a PPL (abroad?) to determine if I really do have the aptitude - if so do some hour building and then go down the modular route with one FTO - probably OAT. The benefits of this is that I could do this full time and not require any further funding.

I've read all the posts about age and I appreciate the risks but my opinion is I'm not gonna get a flying job if I continue to work in marketing and you only get one chance at life!

I don't want to start the usual integrated v modular argument as I do understand the pros and cons. What I'm looking for is personal opinions of what you guys would do in similar circumstances.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Llen