PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Information
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2007, 21:50
enginesuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winco
'I am ex Nimrod (even a humble Pilot Captain) so I do know a little bit about the aircraft pre 1990, when I left the fleet. I also flew the early sorties with MC and JR proving the AAR system prior to our deployment to ASI.

There are posters on this forum who claim to be current Nimrod aircrew, and who are claiming that in general terms, all of the aircraft leak to one degree or another. We have others who claim to fly 'every day' in aircraft leaking fuel.

Likewise, I know nothing about your little charts outlining where leaks are acceptable. But you must step back and ask yourself this.....Is it 'right' that aircraew are being asked to fly aircraft with known leaks, even minor ones? The answer, considering the tragedy of XV230, is a resounding NO, they should not.'

Id bet that they leaked even when you flew them. The charts the guys are on about refer to wing fuel leaks in the integral 4, 4a, 3 + 2 tanks. Normally a small fuel stain on the underside of the wing. The reason for the chart is so they can be monitored. Each leak is assessed post refuel for any worsening.

If Raf a/c or any a/c for that matter were grounded for these small insignificant leaks. The skys would be very quiet indeed.