PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Information
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2007, 14:31
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NimAGE, the point I was trying to make, badly, was that at the time XV230 crashed there was another Nimrod, flying operations with a hole in the AAR pipework. That hole was only discovered in the post crash checks carried out to the Fleet and could have resulted in another tragedy.

I understand the crew could smell fumes on the flight deck before the fire on XV230. Are you doubting whether there was a fuel leak on XV230? Or is it commonplace to smell fuel on the flight deck of a Nimrod? I have completed many AAR sorties in the Herc and never witnessed a leak and never smelled fuel. To be honest, I am shocked by what is regarded as normal on the Nimrod Fleet. I don't doubt the integrity of engineering practices but I would hope that someone is standing back and taking a considered view. Herc frames that I flew were all late 1960's models.

You make the point that we do not know the source of ignition. I agree and I also state once more, that fuel tank protection is a must for the Fleet, for that very reason, alone.