PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - rfdswa
Thread: rfdswa
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2007, 02:51
the wizard of auz
Bugsmasherdriverandjediknite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive seen the reflectors....... they are like bloody flood lights. I regularly land where the RFDS won't, and have also used minimal type lighting. But, this aint about where I'll fly into. its about why the RFDS pilots think they should be paid more.
they have modern equipment (with beta range for those oh so short 900 mtr strips) and modern avionics with all the bells and whistles,with generally way better company supplied training, doing essentially the same job others are doing in far less equipment and far less money. (I know I know...... the others need to lift the wages game as well).
they are already paid better than most of the GA community (don't kid yourself, your GA).
over the years the RFDS has moved away from the "fly into anywhere, anytime" type of organization, and is more a corporate charter type outfit, with much higher standards for where they will and won't go. I've personally heard them whinge about strips that were, although a little rough, perfectly suitable for the aircraft they were using. seen em turn back when all they had to do was wander a a little north, convert back to VFR and go back to where the patient was waiting under the cloud, but well above the minima for an approach (and it was 8 in the morning, so light wasn't an issue). I managed to get there without any issues or breaking the law, or being unsafe, and I aint no super pilot.
anyway, I agree with LHRT, there are ego issues as well. I'll watch from the sidelines . good luck with your fight.