PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - rfdswa
Thread: rfdswa
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2007, 02:42
morno

Received 319 Likes on 119 Posts
I wouldn't say RFDS pilots have inflated ego's, very far from it actually. A gungho attitude is not tolerated. They have very strict guidelines in place with regards to safety, but situations described above (using a few kero lamps, reflectors, car headlights etc.) are not unheard of.

They must of course, consider all other variables at play at the time, and if possible, any other alternatives. If all risks have been identified and considered, are within the systems and the pilots limitations and no other alternative exists, then you have yourself a mercy flight and landing off 'a few flares' or car headlights is considered nessecary. These are last resorts of course.

Wiz, always respect your opinions, but maybe in this instance the pilots in question considered the risks too high, and the medical problem that existed may have just been minor. Unless it's life threatening (mercy flight), it can always wait until daybreak, . As someone said above, no use risking 3 lives just to save 1.

Gudija, yes there are a few young lowly timed blokes in the service these days. But they're the exception rather than the rule. Few and very far between. They still have to pass the same training as the other guys do (proficiency checks, instrument ratings, night checks which include car headlight landings etc.), and have a watchful eye over everything they do. Same rules exist for them as they do for everyone else.

Putting RFDS guys into the same class as charter pilots though, that's a bit of an insult isn't it....?? . Last I remember, charter guys weren't required to be around blood, guts, and other medical things, all while flying at unusual hours of the night on a regular basis.

I only did charter for about 5-6 years, but I never remember being woken up at 2am one night, to go up to some station in the middle of woop woop so the doctor can treat a snake bite, or the following night being sent out at 7pm for a hospital transfer, then on your way home being re-tasked to go out to some strip you've never heard of, let alone seen, to land off flares so you can get someone who's just had a car accident and severely injured themselves, eventually getting back to base at 8am the next morning.

Have a lot of respect for the guys and girls in the various RFDS sections. They do a brilliant job, .

morno