PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hard Landing In SFB
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2007, 18:42
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with you and with fantom...the 330 lands as smoothly as any large transport and is truly a joy to fly. It was the "bogie-unlock" phenomena giving the "second-landing" that I was wondering about. It doesn't happen all the time. And if you're not experiencing it either on the 330 or the 340, then I'd love to know how you're handling it and what's being done to avoid getting that bit of a thump when touching down because I haven't talked to anyone who's avoided it all the time.
Flew the 340 a decade or so ago... The only way I could "avoid" it, and it goes against all "correct techniques", was a second flare ~2s after touchdown. This is when the spoilers deploy killing the lift and causing the "drop" if the 1st touchdown was "smooth".
The "correct technique" of course is to avoid the ultra smooth touchdown, and then the fronts are down before the spoilers. The technique I mention above is:
  • Technically incorrect
  • You'd better be aware of the tailscrape implications
  • Can work though...
Now not flying the aircraft, watch all 330/340 landings with interest... and see/remember that "thump" just after the spoilers deploy and it "drops"