PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CRM issue...
Thread: CRM issue...
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2007, 18:19
aviatorpepe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me start by making a clear differentiation between SOP and Techniques. Whether we like it or not SOP’s are company mandated and aviation’s authority (FAA, JAA, etc.) sanctioned. Techniques, on the other hand, are a set of tools that allow us to operate within a given safety envelope. There are as many flying techniques as there are pilots, but the common thread should be SOP’s.

When a pilot operates an aircraft contrary to SOP’s he or she is reducing the safety margin by keeping the other crew member "outside the loop." Furthermore, non-SOP operations expose the crew members and the company to liability claims in the event of a mishap.

Mungo Man, I would tell that captain something like this: "Sir, with all due respect, I ‘m having a hard time following your procedures. Has the company change them recently? I cannot find them in my book." Maybe he will get the message.

As a captain, I maintain a clear communications channel with my first officers. In my airline there are FO’s with very diverse backgrounds and experience levels, and I recognize that adherence to SOP’s is imperative to the safe conclusion of every flight. That’s what being a professional aviator is about.

P