PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CRM issue...
Thread: CRM issue...
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2007, 17:28
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old days and today

Gentlemen -
xxx
Agree with a few of your points.
I also had to survive these DC-6/7 drivers who were trying to figure how to fly a 727, and in the 707, I saw navigators arguing with captains about headings.
But on layovers, we solved it all while having a beer together and debriefing.
xxx
I was lucky also to start my career as flight engineer, as it became common in the USA in the 1960s and 1970s, and judge captains and co-pilots, this was a lot of help to prepare me to be a co-pilot, and later a captain. With a flight deck crew of 3, it was often a democracy and excellent teamwork.
xxx
Nowadays, pilots start their careers with short sectors, never a layover to have that beer with their captain and discuss the issues of the flight, they just say goodbye and go home. A cockpit crew of 2, who do you think will always be right...?
xxx
I am fortunate to fly now with a South American airline, where the old traditions are still observed as it was 30 or more years ago. Was no problem to blend into their airline culture. CRM is never an issue here, it is a classroom subject where everyone is sleeping. In airlines, you are either born to CRM concepts, and if you dont, you will never adopt the CRM culture, no matter what.
xxx
I have sympathy for the new generation of pilots who start a career today, as I see how much they have to face, in expenses and competitiveness with much less respect for their position by their employers, and this often for miserable salaries. Where are PanAm, TWA, Eastern, Braniff, Sabena, Swissair and VASP...? Is your airline next to join that list...? Will you be forced to expatriate yourself, at age 40, to start all over, or change career, like I have known many to do who were pilots with these air carriers...?
xxx

Happy contrails, anyway