PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CRM issue...
Thread: CRM issue...
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2007, 16:23
Mungo Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BelArgUSA, I appreciate you comments, but maybe you explain to FOs what you are going to do. In my mind a pilot who deviates from SOPs without explanation or obvious reason is displaying poor airmanship because it adversely affects me.

The very fact that I am inexperienced means that SOPs are important to me because they are all I know at the moment. I made the tranistion to a jet from feather-light piston single and know it is a big step. I just want to operate the jet as best I can. I prefer not to be sat on the right sweating about whether the Captain knows what he's dong.

I know ultimately its all about experience and so far I have had some experience of bending SOPs in a safe way, but missing out the majority of SOPs means I risk losing my 'flow' and awareness.

I guess most pilots have been here before. It's just hard working out what's alright, and what's not, what's foolhardy and what's the art of flying. For example, you mention some things about odd flap operations which, although not SOP, may work very well, but taxiing so far off the centre line round a corner that I wince - expecting the main gear to hit the inside taxi way lights is poor airmanship and not something I want to learn to do. (I used to drie 30ft lorries...)

Last edited by Mungo Man; 3rd Jul 2007 at 22:22.