PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Strange habits of your copilots...
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2007, 04:36
sudden Winds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand your point, but keep in mind that when a rather new copilot answers "XXXX told me to do so" that´s probably because that pilot is answering to that question for the tenth time or so.
LEM mentions something about fixed attitudes. Someone must have told that copilot that initial target att at rotation is about 17.5 and then when u reach accel ht you lower the nose to about 10 and the a/c accelerates, and probably he thought he had to select those attitudes....regardless of what the FD says. If LEM, instead of getting upset, explains to the copilot that the FD provides Optimum pitch guidance and those 10 degrees may not always be 10, sometimes they´ll be 11, sometimes 12, and that by following a reasonable FD command he´s also protected if he encounters windshear, that´ll make the whole ride more enjoyable...I guarantee you, a captain wouldn´t like my answer if he started yelling at me for not being following a FD command by 3 degrees (especially if he does so at 1000 ft AGL) (My reply would come at FL100 + 1 foot, btw)
Maybe some other captain told that copilot to select initially those attitudes and then compensate for FD deviations, keep in mind that FD command bars induce some overcontrolling (especially the x-pointer type) if you try to nail it.
My conclusion is that you can always point out someone else´s mistakes politely and constructively, and you´ll get whole lot better results than if you just get upset and immediately question a method or technique.
Cardinal, teaching something is not what I consider an intervention. I am an FO and I have an excellent relationship with most of the captains I get to fly with, and of course I learn a lot from them. Everyday before I am informed who the captain I ´ll fly with is, I am hoping I fly with someone that will teach me something if he gets a chance and not someone like LEM that will just get upset if I do something he doesn´t like.

I am disappointed you misinterpreted my comment.
Regards,
SW.