PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Language in the sky
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2007, 13:54
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Language solutions

Gentlemen -
xxx
I have advices for both sides of the fence for languages...
xxx
For the natives of the English language, this for both ATC and flight crews, please stick to standard communications phraseology, when you speak. No room for local "slang" vocabulary admissible in aviation communications. My colleagues all speak perfect English, yet some are very shy to operate flights in Anglo-Saxon countries, because ATC there, often forgets that they are speaking to pilots who are not born to the English language. Clearance delivery should slow their "machine gun" babble when they give instructions to a "foreign" aircraft. Please use a clear pronunciation with JAL or Korean, with Aeroflot or Aerolineas Argentinas, with Air Afrique or Air Madagascar.
xxx
"Argentinaonethreetwozeroclearedasfiledmaintainfivethousande xpectleveltwothreezerotenminutesafterdeparuredeparturefreque ncyonetwofourpointsixsquawkfoursixthreeone" - Despite having lived some 25 years in Los Angeles, I feel like answering "Miami clearance, say again" a few times, faking a Spanish accent...
xxx
Same for you pilots, when you deal with a "foreign" ATC, saying "ten four" or "tally ho" will not be understood by Erçan Control in North Cyprus. Proper phraseology is often disregarded by native English speakers.
xxx
My advice for English speaking pilots - South America - learn basic Spanish and/or Portuguese (both languages often are quite similar) and numbers, to understand other planes reporting position and levels - Africa - French can be a bit of help in many areas (as well as Portuguese for Luanda and Maputo).
xxx
Coldwing - we love Italians in Buenos Aires, people say that Argentines speak Spanish with... an Italian accent (due to the large number of Italian immigrants). My wife's grand parents were from Torino, their last name "Podesta"... Buenos Aires dialect ("Lunfardo") is a mix of Spanish and Italian. Argentina food is pasta with the best meats in the world...
xxx
RDuarte - uma cerveja Sagrès para você (o vinho verde) Obrigado, conosco Portugal muito bêm - Cascais, Coïmbra, Porto, NS de Fatima, Algarve... e também Madeira o Açores...
xxx

Happy contrails