PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pan Am Beijing
Thread: Pan Am Beijing
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2007, 04:49
The_Flyin_Kiwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Situation No Change... AFU

HHMMMM .. seems like nothing has changed at Beijing Panam in the last year since I left there. I know some guys who have been there now for more than 2 years ..... They deserve a medal!

If you work at Panam or want to work at Panam you need to know the secret!

The secret is this .... Dont think that because you are experienced and have qualifications and good hours that this means you are needed there or that they will want to draw on your experience in order to teach others. If you are very inexperienced and have very low hours then you are in a much better position to be promoted.

You see the Chinese way of thinking is this .... If there is a rule that stops you from doing something then that rule is irrelevant ... you just ignore it. If people who are experienced start giving you advice that you dont want to hear then you not only ignore them but you restrict them in every way you can. Those who are born brown nosers will be promoted immediately and those brown nosers who are inexperienced will be promoted even faster to even higher positions. This is because they can be easily manipulated to do exacly what the management want them to do. But do you know what the best thing is about all this as far as the Chinese thinking is involved? When the **** hits the fan the Chinese can stand back and blame the foreigner for the stuff up .... I tell you the Chinese are not stupid like a lot of people think. When the **** hits the fan they will stand back and say "But it is the fault of the foreigner ... he is a foreign expert .. he is here to help us because in China we have not done anything like this before. Don't be fooled guys .... Foreigners are not there because they are wanted .. they are there because they are needed .... and when the time comes that they are not needed then they won't be there.

My advice is ..... If you work for Panam or are planning to work for Panam try not to think like a foreigner! Just go with the flow. Don't try to chage things or you will be viewed as a threat. Just keep your head down and keep a low profile. The secret for working at Panam is this...

1) Trust no one and you will not be betrayed
2) Expect nothing and then everything you do get is a bonus
3) Treat every promise as a lie until proven otherwise or you will only be contiually disappointed.
4) Dont have the expectation of getting lots of flying hours.

When I was at Panam I looked at things this way in order to stop me going crazy ....... "Eat their great food, drink their great beer, screw their pretty girls .... and laugh all the way to the bank!" ...... and remember .. flying is just a brief interuption to your social life .