PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Officer "assertiveness" versus Captain's "authority"???
Old 29th Jun 2007, 09:06
beamer

Received 83 Likes on 31 Posts
FF

Understand your frustration but did you ensure that the FO in question had fully comprehended the written brief for Samos and had you emphasised the probabliity of speed fluctuations/turbulenence etc in your verbal brieifng ? If so then your level of experience commensurate with the C qualification should be sufficient to overcome the FO's misgivings - trouble is from the position of a third party, what if you were making a cods of the approach - at what point would you have expected the FO to actually say something and if necessary call a go-round. It is the classic CRM dilemma which most of us have experienced - 'I know what I'm doing' but he/she does'nt because they have not got the experience to fully comprehend what is or what is not normal given a certain set of circumstances. I think that there is a problem in the industry with a certain number of low houred pilots who have found themselves in the rhs of large aircraft with little or no real experience of aircraft handling in their fledgling careers - its not their fault per se, daddy had paid for their licence and the ailrines have been eager to snap up cheap labour. They can have the greatest SOP's in the world but by definition they do not have the experience which perhaps would have be gained in smaller aircraft in a longer 'apprenticeship' before graduating to large jet aircraft. This is not a case of saying 'I had it tough, so should you...' more a case of pragmatism based upon a rather longer career.